From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:23:15 -0700
Seeing as I'm the one who initially mentioned this and DARED to bring up
that past and resources that were valued by many of us, let me say this in
response to John's question:

I've always found 'tools' of value, no matter what you're doing.  That
said, having the RIGHT TOOL is even MORE valuable... a variety of sizes of
Crescent wrenches is infinitely more valuable than an adjustable 14" pipe
wrench...

The problem is when it comes to technological tools, they need to be kept
current and SOMEONE has to be available to manage the "care and feeding"
aspect of this.  As John mentioned, in the past it was (in part) a
collaborative effort after Alan Zaben built his list, and Rick Barry
managed his list on his own.   As mentioned, now both are essentially in
retirement and neither can be expected to continue the great work they did
while active in the profession.

That said, I've always seen this as a PROFESSIONAL RESOURCE, and something
of great value to EVERYONE working in the RECORDS AND INFORMATION
MANAGEMENT field.  And while I tried to market the value and need for this
to certain individuals I was once aligned with in a volunteer role for some
30 years, none of them saw it as anything they wanted to provide as a
resource for the profession.  I doubt that's changed, because what's being
offered on the open side has diminished quite a bit since I discontinued my
participation.

So maybe 'crowd sourcing' funding to re-boot the list, scrub all the links
and capture new, additional ones would be a way of going about it?  I
recall at one point in time, some interns that did work under Roberta
Shaffer when she was chairing the efforts to develop the once valuable RIM
Competencies document had gathered a large volume of then current
resources, and when I Chaired the Standards Committee, we had a list of all
of the known National and International Standards available for the field,
but who knows where any of that went?

The problem with the crowd sourcing dealio though is that would provide
start-up funding maybe pay for getting a domain name and hosting for a
number of years, but as links change, or are available to be added, someone
has to keep doing that, too.

I wonder if an educational institution who is involved in RM in the US (and
or in Canada) would be a possible candidate to take this over?  Maybe
University of Arizona, Western Washington College, San Jose State... or one
of the community colleges like Chippewa Valley??  It would sure seem to be
a feather in their cap... IJS...

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina