From:
Christian Meinke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2013 09:32:12 -0700
I would just add, there are a lot of variables depending on the asset -
decommissioning a nuclear plant will have a lot more requirements than
tearing down an old office building. I think one thing you'll want to keep
in mind is that sites often have multiple assets that may be connected,
where removing an asset of one kind facilitates it's replacement with
another so that any "Life of" retention you may be following may require
some interpretation. Also, while most of us are not trained archivists you
still might want to give consideration to the preservation of certain
artifacts, photographs, or other records that might have historic value.
We recently retired a power plant that had a log book signed by Thomas
Edison when he visited the site over 100 years ago.. The retention expired
on that long ago, but we're still going to hang on to that one.
***
Christian Meinke, CRM
Records Program Manager
Edison Mission Energy
3 MacArthur Place, Suite 100
Santa Ana, CA 92707
Phone:  714-513-8226

Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 07/23/2013
09:13:50 AM:

> Just looking for any words of wisdom on what records are typically
> maintained after the decommissioning of an asset (specific to that
> asset).  Example you have closed a facility and the structure is torn
down.