From:
"King, Richard G - (kingr)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2013 15:22:38 +0000
Steve,
Seems like there are a couple of issues: 1) If electronic business records are accepted by the court's of your jurisdiction then the electronic "record" should not be a problem; 2) the electronic copy would be the best copy available to your company for litigation; 3) If there is a problem, the supplier should have their own original copy of the invoice.  That said, you should have a QC process in place that would assure the new electronic record data is consistent with the hard-copy input invoice.  One caveat is, if you are a contractor for the federal government then you need to keep the hard copy of the invoice (if such exists)  for one (1) year for audit inspection.

Since your company is asking for or is willing to receive electronic invoices I don't see the difference between that and the converted invoice.  It seems that it might be worthwhile to do a cost/benefit analysis of the "conversion" process and system v. imaging.  It would seem to me that imaging the vendor invoice avoids data entry mistakes that will come from invoice "conversion".  From the little I know about your proposed process it would seem to me that it has similar components to an imaging program and the costs may be the same.

You should talk to corporate counsel and your audit folks about this to protect yourself and the company.  Dick King, University of Arizona