From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2013 13:27:34 -0700
Huge, for a period of time in the 80's I did a lot of collecting of
records, comic books, etc... What I discovered over time is that current
value was largely dependent on what is "hot" at the moment. At one point, I
remember when various punk bands - popular at the time - kept citing the
song "Talk Talk" by the Music Machine as being a major influence. Sure
enough, the value of a Music Machine album, issued in the 60's, suddenly
skyrocketed 20 years later. I doubt they have retained their value today.
There are so many factors at play, but in my experience on-going fame or
popularity is a big factor, and once that fame/popularity fades, so does
the value. I keep waiting for obscure New Wave bands to have a resurgence -
maybe 80's nostalgia will suddenly take off!

My real reason for posting this, though, is to express some discomfort with
placing a monetary value on government documents (such as deed books). In
my opinion, the value of a government document relates to its ability to
defend and protect the rights of citizens and their heritage. I think about
the only price you can put on that for insurance purposes would be the
price of recovery in the event the documents were damaged, lost, etc....
otherwise I think they are "priceless". In addition, whatever marketplace
exists for government documents of intrinsic monetary value (say, a
contract signed by Abraham Lincoln in his capacity as President - he's
still pretty famous!) should be illegal, and the "ownership" of those
documents outside of legitimate institutions open to the public considered
a form of theft.

--
Dwight Wallis
Multnomah County Records Management