From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2013 14:08:19 -0400
On Aug 14, 2013, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> Predictive coding is the most promising option for cutting costs
> without compromising the quality of the process.
>
> http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9650.html
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Carol

How do you think they are defining predictive coding as that seemed vague but then their example of 7 different teams of attorneys reviewing documents for trial and have a discrepancy rate of 25% to 50% of what is relevant, why would they trust a predictive coding software. Why would they want to? Those are billable hours.

eDiscovery in a Cloud Universe will have the capability to bankrupt litigants.  Extortion litigation is the next phase where you threaten litigation knowing the eDiscovery will be so costly as to drive a party to a hasty settlement to avoid discovery.

Records Managements role in developing a backbone to store records in a manner that facilitates litigation defense may be a new field. Setting up a sample law suit and checking on small volumes of information how you perform relative to the eDiscovery.( Modeled records management performance in discovery.) This could be a hugely popular and cost beneficial role for records management in a digital world.

In fact, I will create a new title for this behavior, it will be "Information Senator", so as to outrank the Information Governors but not be so high in rank as to threaten the President of the organization. ;~)

I heard an interesting talk at NIRMA which hosted an excellent conference, and it talked about how in government and large organizations that the push to digitize records, share records, (SharePoint, ADAMS,) protect the records for confidentiality between parties and maintaining any meaningful catalog is becoming insupportable due to the lack of classification and retention controls so the volumes spin rapidly out of control.

Do you know how funny it is to hear a really high ranking IT person talking about their recent revelation that their computer media and servers are “NOT EVEN PROTECTED IN A VAULT OR ROOM THAT IS RATED TO PROTECT COMPUTER MEDIA!! THAT MEDIA NEEDS TO BE KEPT AT A MUCH LOWER TEMPERATURE TO SURVIVE??!!”  [Too many Blade Servers.......?]

If records managers really understood how truly valuable you are in the organization!! If you can find your place and promote how much money you can save in discovery, litigation support and just flat out time saving in operations.  Big Data is spinning it all out of control.  Time for a GIANT WHITEPAPER WRITTEN IN EXEC-SPEAK to point out the road map ahead.

What if every document in the organization required a “Summary Statement” at the begiining of the document that simply stated what the document covered. Now the spyders would only need to hit the opening element of the document and then select or skip thus speeding the search. Once you prove the summaries are accurate, then the rest of discovery would be faster and more limited in scope.

Then documents could be stored on back-ups that were lumped by relevant Summaries. This would make you invincible in litigation as your preparation would be fractions of the opposing counsel and you could wear them to a frazzle. Compare this to a traditional metadata search which brings up 28,000 documents when less than 100 are relevant.

These are high flying thoughts because I am nestled in the belly of a Southwest Jet somewhere over middle America. Now Chris Flynn will tell me that ADAMS or something already does this........

The Dewey Decimal System works in the Library of Congress so how tough can it be to enforce a Summary Card Catalog on documents so there is a relationship between digital storage, metadata and NAS devices everywhere.

They say any advancement in Technology that far outstrips current technology (a flashlight in Tarzan’s Africa or an iPhone in my hands) appears as magic. Records managers with the right promotion could appear to management as if your classification skills, retention scheduling abilities interfaced with digital records management are the stuff of magic.

What’s that Seri, you say this has gone on long enough! Okay you know best. Seri how does iTunes work?

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM