From:
Susan Beamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:03:47 -0400
Hi All; I'm a lone arranger doing Records Management and Archives at a small,
private manufacturing firm in Eastern Washington State.

I posted this on SAA listserv, but wanted to ask the Records folks:

Hi All; I'm a lone arranger doing Records Management and Archives at a small,
private manufacturing firm in Eastern Washington State.

We are migrating to new off the shelf software and are having discussions
about the best way to format dates.

I've always used dd mmm yyyy, because I feel it is the best way to lower
date confusions and have not used punctuation because it reduces key
strokes.  My supervisor asked if there was a standard (meaning an ISO
standard) for dates and I said no (meaning none for Archives work).

He did a quick search and found ISO 8601 is a standard for dates and said it
will be used.  It looks like YYYY-MM-DD.  He says it best for sorting.

Several on SAA listserv did say they used the ISO 8601 standard because of
the ease of sorting.

What do others use?  Checking the list archives is almost impossible to tell,
since the use of the word 'date' is everywhere and has lots of meaning.  I
looked at one large Univerisity and NARA to tell what their date format was,
but it was difficult to tell.

Thanks for your comments.

Susan Beamer, CA
Records [and Archives] Manager
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc
www.selinc.com