From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2013 08:31:10 -0700
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013, Laurie Varendorff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> To all of my RIM Colleagues,
>
> I like Fred Grevin have some issues with 100% QA of Images Scanned.
>
> There is a Standard that works.
>
> E.g. ANSI-AIIM Standard MS 44-1988 [REVISED 1993] titled "Recommended
> Practice for Quality Control of Image Scanners available @
> http://www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/detail?product_id=1275
>
> This Standard is available in a PDF Format for Immediate download @ $39.00
> USD
>
> If your Test is OK at the START & also at the END of each Job, Shift or Day
> then everything in between is OK. Sign off & you have met your QA
> Requirements.
>
> Regards, Laurie

Standards are great things- following them is a good idea.

But this one only certifies that the SCANNER is as accurate when you FINISH
a batch as it was when you STARTED.

What it doesn't do is ensure ALL images aren't skewed, out of focus, are
legible, are at an acceptable density, upside down, index information is
correct, there is no 'dyslexic' content, etc.

Errors occur if you don't have good practices, procedures, and steps in
your quality control to ensure the above items are checked for.  Images
have be regularly reviewed, determine a threshold that is appropriate for
that review (based on images you process) and stick with that until you
have a higher acceptability rate.

Many times, this has to be determined by the quality of the source
documents and the equipment you're using.  If you're dealing with clean,
crisp, text only, black print on white paper documents... you'll probably
spend more time QCing the indexing than the images.  But your sampling rate
will likely be pretty low if the people doing the input are skilled.   If
your materials are old, dog eared, stapled, punched, multi colors,
handwritten and typed, carbons, NCR paper, differing sizes, some with
duplexed content, etc... you'll be QCing a LOT of images.  And you'll
likely have a lot of re-dos or manual scanning, or the need to produce
inter-copies at higher contrast rates, etc.  And your sampling rate will be
high, no matter how 'dialed in' to a Standard your scanner is.

Larry

(Nice seeing your name, Laurie!!)

--
*Lawrence J. Medina