From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:45:55 -0400
On Aug 23, 2013, at 12:03 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> While I am ecstatic about passing the test, I do not believe its value is
> immeasurably enhanced by my CRM designation. I have seen the "information
> governance" solutions created by lawyers, IT vendors, search consultants,
> etc. and basically they want to sell you some software. Lawyers without a
> CRM think they know how to create a retention schedule for what they call
> "defensible retention."
>
> Best wishes,
> Carol

New software is actually one of the threats to the whole records management profession. If value is based on knowledge, then a software system can retain flawlessly this data base of information far better than the mind of a records manager or Information Governator.

When the records management profession simply markets the value of  having the CRM and having an IG credential attached to a name and all that is required to achieve these designations is to pass a test it diminishes the field. Of course some educator will develop software and tell IT and Legal, "plug this into your computer and you have all the data to manage your records."  These people like simple solutions. It is an offshoot of Big Data.  In the past they promoted anything that made the company buy more computers.  “Be faster, Have more capacity.”  They promoted software for everything.

It’s funny that Auditor don’t have a software to replace them??  They base their value on coming in and checking the actions and behavior of others.  They constantly sell the value of having an auditor to audit everything and find flaws in performance. They audit the money.

That is the way records management was in the early 80’s. The RM was the auditor of the records retention plan, the keeper in chief of the vital records and management understood that you needed this auditing of the records management function.  Management understood that not having control of certain records could cost them if they were involved in litigation. Not protecting their vital records could expose intellectual assets or allow potential plaintiffs the ability to scan critical information assets.

Those who were not satisfied with this control capability started changing the titles. Moving forward; if time and money is not spent promoting the value of the records manager to the C-Level management, the profession will fade away as a distinct profession.

Records are proof of performance, legal or illegal, well run corporations need to management their documents. Records Managers need to publish more White Papers and Case Studies about the effects of good and bad records management on court cases and even the cost of the litigation. A well prepared company will spend much less in preparation of their Data Map and Discovery preparation and this lowers legal cots of defense.  This is the strongest case for the Records Manager.  Maybe RAIN needs a category that speaks to this and records managers save these, assemble them in relevant fashion and present a White Paper to your C-Level, Legal and Audit group called “The State of the Organization Pre-Litigation.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM