From:
Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:53:26 -0500
Yes Larry the retention in most cases means really that you're not simply
maintaining "long term" records, but virtually "permanent" records.

Here in Florida the retention for Personnel records of public agencies
depends upon whether the employee is in the "Florida Retirement System" or
"non Florida Retirement System."  The former is 25 years after
separation/termination and the latter is 50 years after
separation/termination.  For temps, volunteer, interns, etc. it's only 3
fiscal years.  So, alot of files are going to be maintained for a very long
time and that's what we're grappling with here...like everyone else.  My
good sense tells me that if we're "trusting" all of our other long term,
valuable and necessary information to electronic systems only....and most
organizations seem to be doing that these days...then why be retaining all
of these personnel records in hardcopy?  And that's a good question as well
considering the advantages of automation with an effective workflow process
where not only do you get the foremost advantage of automating the complete
HR/employee process, but as well a long term solution to inactive employee
file retention.

So, who else can tell me about what is going on with HR employee files at
your organization?  Come on folks.  I want to be able to help our HR team
here get a good idea of what's going on across the spectrum with this issue.

Thanks again to all who have responded thus far.

Gus Harris
Records Manager
The Univ. of West FL
Pensacola, FL