From:
"Creamer, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:02:12 +0000
I've read most of the discussion on this issue and I think the Dr here has best expressed my view.  I'm more comfortable in thinking of an oral history as a draft rather than as a record, because it fits my understanding of a draft more closely than my definition of a record.  The easy changeability of an oral tradition, (which is why there have been projects to preserve them by recording or writing down these histories) prevents me from thinking of the speaking of such a history to be a record.  Until it is recorded on some medium, it’s a draft, or in other words, one version of potentially many versions, of the same events.

Of course, all views expressed in this email, written by me, are mine alone, and may not represent the views of my employer.

Bill Creamer
Records & Conflicts Manager
212.728.3448