From:
D NISHIMURA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:14:06 +0000
Very true, Peter. I remember running into this at the first IS&T Archiving meeting. On the one side were the techies -- mostly computer scientists and engineers from Microsoft, IBM, and I remember, Sanyo.  On the other side were mostly library people  -- librarians and a few library conservators as well as administrators.

Before the first day of talks, I was chatting with a group of people from the tech side and they couldn't understand why there was even a meeting about this. In their words, "Archiving digital data? It's easy. We've been doing this for years."

Things changed when the talks started and I could hear them whispering, "Marc format? What's that? What are they talking about?"

Of course the library side was also mystified by some of the technical talks as well, as both sides figured out that they weren't talking about the same thing, communication has improved and we see more joint talks between the high tech industries and (still mostly) libraries.

-Doug
Douglas Nishimura
Image Permanence Institute
Rochester Institute of Technology