From:
Andy Carnahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2013 18:16:27 +1000
I like the occasional whimsy on this thread, as well as the in-depth
knowledge of the RM peer (who knew the science of CD/DVD media longevity
was so captivating - seriously).

Chris mentioned uploading old brains to new brains.  As a society and
species we already upload our "old" brains to new brains through an
extra-genetic process known as education. While DNA transmits the genetic
coding forward in time, education (through parenting, school and life
experience) transmits the cultural coding.  Both are evolving and
wonderfully complicated.

The somewhat romantic notion of re-incarnation should more accurately be
described as re-inculturation as we externally pass the lessons of the past
to guide our children into their own (hopefully better) future.  Books and
now digitised knowledge externalise cultural learnings and do offer the
ability for a more accurate "uploading" of the information that can become
guiding wisdom.

I promise to post on more direct RM topics too...

Andy Carnahan
Bowral Australia