From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:21:23 -0700
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Callen, Jeanne M <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Does anyone use a cloud-based Expense Reporting tool - like Concur?
>  Wondering about retention requirements for cloud-based expense reports,
> receipts, etc.  Currently we retain our paper Expense files for 5 years.
>  Seems the team investigating the software didn't think about what happens
> to the stored data (or to include me).

I think the obvious answer here is NO MATTER WHERE your content is stored,
the retention period you've placed on it doesn't change unless you change
your retention schedule.

And depending on how your organization is structured and who has authority
to audit your expenses, you MAY be subject to legal actions, which MIGHT
require you to suspend destruction of items BEYOND your retention
periods... so hopefully, whatever this product is, it's able to accommodate
that.

And as with anything else 'cloud', you may want to find out how the data is
protected- who can access it, how is it replicated/mirrored (and where),
how is it backed up, who OWNS THE DATA, etc.

And give some consideration to what info is in those expense reports- like
SSNs, addresses, birth dates, home addresses, account numbers, drivers
license numbers, credit card numbers, or any other PII, PFI, etc.  Some
employees buy things on personal credit cards and are reimbursed; others
may use corporate cards... but in either case, tying together certain of
the identifying items listed can result in a MAJOR privacy issue.

I'd also give some consideration to if they didn't talk to YOU... did they
talk to LEGAL or HR?

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA