From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2013 10:28:58 -0400
I was surprised that so few have entered the “Greatest Archive” Contest.  I also was surprised that no one from the Archivist Listserve entered?

David Steward is entered with a great argument for the United States Library of Congress.  He provided a great argument.

Another great entry was by Joseph Settanni and his entry was the Sumerian Archives which is the basis of all other written archives and he provided a compelling argument.

I was hoping more of you would provide an entry as we have two different college records management classes auditing the performance here and I thought they might benefit from seeing the analytical and observational skills that records managers being to problems or challenges like these.

The contest closes at the end of this month so there is still time to enter if you have a moment of downtime.

There are so many great archives around the world I was shocked that no one bothered to present an argument for their favorite Archive.

I was hoping that when I reach 70 I could travel the world looking at the greatest archives, as suggested by the world’s most formidable list of people who appreciate recorded content in all formats.

No one to defend the honor of the New York Museum of Natural History or the La Louvre´or the British Museum of Natural History or the Vatican Archive or the University of Texas at Austin Ransom Center. Ironically I can’t think of a an archive of medical knowledge?  And no one thought the National Archive in DC was worth a mention.  I would enter the collections in Philadelphia as they have the whole history of American Independence and that was a singular event in mankind’s history. The world changed.  Or the Data Center in Utah that is sucking up every single communication, phone call and bit of recorded knowledge but that is more like recording the chatter in the Hall of Grand Central Station.

It is your compelling argument for your favorite that is worth the prize.  Last chance to enter your favorite and claim the prize if you can beat the current entrants.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM