From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2013 08:12:28 +1100
A few years ago we got as far as trialling LinkTek's LinkFixer plus. I
can't endorse it one way or the other, for various technical reasons
unrelated to the product itself it didn't suit our needs, so I've not used
it in the real world. But we did spend time finding it, so if that's any
benefit, glad to help.

Links are a real problem for any migration, especially from shared drives
into an EDMS. Accountants love linked spreadsheets! We have hundreds that
might as well be called Applications. One spreadsheet for example is
updated daily by someone in Accounts Payable. That person does not even
know that several other spreadsheets are automatically updated, and that
our PeopleSoft Financials accesses one of those to upload some critical
data every night. And of course the accountant who set it all up is long
gone and everyone is afraid to touch anything in case it breaks.

If you have dynamically linked spreadsheets (or other files which use
things like OLE, DDE etc) and you move any one of them to *anywhere* else,
the links will break. Move any or all of them into an EDMS and the links
will break. And you cannot tell by looking at a directory listing if any
file contains dynamic links buried somewhere inside a macro, or if that
file is the target of links in another file somewhere else, probably on a
file share you don't even know exists.

And then if you run something like LinkFixer, it might (I don't know how
LinkFixer handles this) by opening every file on a drive reset the archive
bits, blow out the next backup run, decompress the whole drive and cause
your IT ops people to shout at you. So add not doing that to your selection
criteria.

Best of luck!

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia
0467 740 161 (new mobile number)
These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked and
they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and Glenn".
Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.