From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2013 10:34:53 -0800
On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM, PeterK <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The storm sent water streaming into several covert FBI file storage
> locations in New York and New Jersey, damaging between 8,000 and 9,000
> cardboard boxes, each capable of storing hundreds of documents from
> investigations and cases spanning at least two decades.
>
> Source: http://www.salon.com/2013/10/31/sandy_partner/

Pathetic.

So they talk about how they spent money to recover 80% of the files, even
though they weren't sure what they represented, nor did they know if the
20% they couldn't recover might have had the greatest value... but NARA
didn't bother to inspect the storage facility (which OBVIOUSLY WASN'T 36CFR
compliant) earlier and do anything about it??

Anyone ever hear about "an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound
of CURE" ?

From the article:

“The FBI’s archiving system always seems so behind the times.”

But when it comes to storing paper files, often dating back decades,
government agencies do what most people do, said Susan Long, director of
Syracuse University’s Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse.

They keep files in the basement.

The question for NARA AND the FBI following this is the same one that was
asked of Elliot Ness by Jim Malone in "The Untouchables" :

"You see what I'm saying is, what are you prepared to do?"

I would think the first order of business would be to evaluate other FBI
controlled facilities storing Federal Records where they may be in peril,
or are in a potentially hazardous storage situation, and exercise the
option available to NARA under 36CFR, 1234.30 (a).

(a) General policy. Agencies are responsible for ensuring that records in
their legal custody are stored in appropriate space as outlined in this
part. Under paragraph 1232.18(a), agencies are responsible for initiating
action to remove records from space that does not meet these standards if
deficiencies are not corrected within 6 months after initial discovery of
the deficiencies by NARA or the agency and to complete removal of the
records within 18 months after initial discovery of the deficiencies.

And obviously, they shouldn't STOP with the FBI... how many other stories
are there about Federal Records inadequately stored that were damaged or
destroyed because NARA hasn't done their job?

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*