From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2013 08:38:13 -0800
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Glen Sanderson
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Let's just do virtual conferences

Oh and Patrick thought I WAS FOOLISH for suggesting biennial gatherings...
=)

I keyed in on one comment Patrick made in response to my suggestion:

"All that said, I would look for more variety in what ARMA does for
education and perhaps a little less emphasis on Conference as the primary
focal point for education for the association."

If the Conference is NOT going to be a focal point for education, then WHY
WOULD employers be willing to spend money to send their staff to venues for
multiple days annually at a cost of "...$2500 to $3000 price tag all in..."
(which I'm sure did NOT include the cost of labor of the attendee or the
cost of the time for them to catch-up when they return to work) ?

I haven't seen much in the arguments presented that bolster the case for
continuing to hold multi-day events in any locations, venues or not, every
year if there isn't going to be anything that can demonstrate to employers
the VALUE in sending their staff to attend.

The argument against that I kept getting over the past 7 years was "Why
haven't we ever heard of this organization and what have they done, or what
do they offer that helps our bottom line?  Can you demonstrate how paying
for attendance at this event has sufficient ROI for us to send you or
anyone else?"

It reached a point where I ran out of steps for my tap-dance routine, paid
my own way over 3 of my last 4 conferences, then stopped attending in 2010,
where I only attended the Expo.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*