From:
"Steward, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2013 19:52:48 +0000
I am interested in the comments of so many regarding the Conference.  There have been a lot of ideas generated by Listserv members.  Some seem pretty reasonable.

While I haven't attended non-stop for multiple decades, I have been to enough over time to have a pretty good feel for where we are today.  The major reason I have missed conferences in the last 8-10 years is that I have chosen to alternate years with my management team.  This ensures that a couple of us get to be there each year.  And I am grateful to my employer for making this possible.

It is interesting that a lot has been said about what is lacking in the Conference and why some choose not to attend.  But I do find it odd that there seems to be a lack of appreciation for those who do choose to go.  We don't have many positive comments from those who were there this year, for example.  And I don't think it is because they hated the event.  I believe our anecdotal evidence is skewed by the overwhelming negative comments.  Please don't take this as a suggestion that I want to censor any comments!

Are there things that can/should be improved?  Sure, and I believe HQ and the Board take that seriously year after year.  But let's look at the positives.  We have an annual opportunity to listen to current trends, meet peers, and view offerings from vendors.  Like so many things in life, Conference is what you make of it.  A person can go to party and leave with no more than a hangover.  Or, you can carefully plan your time to catch the educational offerings that best fit your needs, spend time in the Expo and at product briefings, and meet with colleagues.

I will be honest: the latter is the greatest value to me after more than 20 years in the profession.  I learn so much from one-on-one and small group discussions.  And what other venue is going to allow me to meet up with so many peers?  This networking is worth a fortune to me.  Additional value from sessions and the Expo is icing on the cake.

It is a blessing to have an employer that is willing to invest in my team and in its own business by sending a couple of us to Conference each year.  I do not take this for granted.  And it is a year-by-year thing.  Nothing is guaranteed.  I have, and would consider again, funding some of my expenses if that is what it would require to be there.

Finally, a lot has been said about employers' perception of value.  Who's responsibility is that?  How the heck is any boss supposed to know what is and isn't worthwhile from a conference?  That is your responsibility.  Those of us who are privileged to attend Conference are on the hook to sell the value all year long.  We must take the value that we receive and sell it back to our organizations.  I remind my managers of this as well.  Every time a concept, improvement, or innovation happens at work, and it is an outcome of Conference, I make sure to inform the stakeholders that it happened because of Conference.  Failure by leadership to identify the value of Conference is a failure on the part of the Records professional in selling that value.

Some of this may come off as harsh.  If so, I apologize.  I do know that there are circumstances where we have little say in choices such as Conference.  And I realize that I can only see things from my perspective.  But where we have the opportunity to make a difference in that perspective by selling the return on investment, we should and must take advantage.  I hope to be in San Diego and have the opportunity to learn from many of you in 2014.

Regards,

David B. Steward
Director of Records

HUSCH BLACKWELL LLP
4801 Main Street, Suite 1000
Kansas City, MO 64112-2551
Direct:  816.983.8860
Fax:  816.983.8080
huschblackwell.com
View Bio | View VCard

Any tax advice contained in or attached to this message or email string is not intended or written to be used,
and cannot be used to (i) avoid penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code
or (ii) promote, market, or recommend to another any transaction addressed herein.