From:
Bob Zagami <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2013 17:06:27 -0500
Hello Meg,

Congratulations on your new position.

As one who lived and worked throughout he transition of microfilm to digital imaging in many industries and government entities, let me offer these suggestions:

While your regulations may required microfilm as a permanent record, does it state if you must microfilm documents at the front end of the process, or can you scan the documents and then outsource the scanned images to a professional service provider who will be able to put those images on microfilm for your permanent record?
If your regulations do not state "how" you get the microfilm, then I would advise against purchasing new microfilm equipment and move do a scanning process that can be used for your non-regulatory documents as well as those that must be preserved on microfilm.
If you must stay with microfilm on the front end of the process, I would look for a good used planetary camera to replace the recently departed one.  It will be very difficult to find new planetary cameras and the cost would not be justified because the city will eventually get around to revising their standards.  That is not to say they will abandon microfilm, but they may need to be updated if you are required by law to microfilm at the front end of the process, versus producing microfilm from scanned images.  There are several companies that offer used microfilm equipment, such as Western Micrographics,
if you must stay with microfilm I would advise you to stay with a planetary camera system for the best quality image.  There are rotary microfilm cameras out there but they type of work found in most government applications are better served with a planetary camera system.
At one time we did have rotary cameras that could produce a roll of microfilm and a digital image, but those (to my knowledge) are not being manufactured anymore.  There may be some in Europe that somebody like the Crowley Company imports into the US.
In addition to the contributions and information you will receive from those on this list, be sure to investigate the educational information available from our industry associations, ARMA and AIIM.

Hope this helps.

Bob Zagami
Principal Consultant
IMAGAZ by ZAGAMI