From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2013 11:34:33 +1100
I was involved in moving 1,500 people 20 km from one city to another, it
took over two years of detailed planning involving building designers, IT,
records (me), change managers, unions and many others. Two points:

1. Gary is on the right track - use a commercial moving company. In effect
you outsource all those questions and responsibilities, just put in the
contract that all documents must be moved in secured containers. Let them
sort it out from there. You have enough to worry about without all that
logistical stuff.

2. Keep in mind that it's a great excuse to do a cull, and/or go
electronic. The more stuff you throw out the less it costs to move, and the
less it costs to build, buy or rent your new site. We tossed out 5,000 x
200-litre wheelie bins of paper before the move, and 'found' 27,000
'missing' files, 26,998 of which went straight into the shredder as they
were due for destruction years ago. Add 30,000 boxes of inactive files
moved to offsite storage, and it was a fun two years. I really enjoyed
throwing two armloads of 1882 documents into a wheelie bin. If in doubt,
throw it out!

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia
0467 740 161 (new mobile number)
These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked and
they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and Glenn".
Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.