From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2013 14:58:29 +0000
Judy commented "This is something I've never understood. It doesn't seem to matter when the conference ends, folks never stay to the end. As much as it costs, I would think you'd want to get your money's worth out of it."

There are several issues for me, Judy, that push me to leave "early" on the last day of the conference.

First, I live on the East Coast which, relative to places such as Las Vegas, is two hours later. Given the flight time (and the usual delays in NYC airports), I don't get home until late at night even if I leave in the early afternoon. When the conference is on the East Coast (e.g., outside of DC), I usually drive to the conference and back:  5-1/2 hours, and God help you if you try to drive out of the DC area, on a week day, after 2:30 PM.

Second, I have a seven year-old son and a wife who normally can't go on these trips, and I want to get home to them ASAP.

Third, in recent years, I've been spending more time on the Expo floor talking with vendors, and less time attending sessions. And, of course, the Expo packs up on Tuesday.

Fourth, if I stay through the next day, I miss an additional day at work; and the work (for some reason) never fails to accumulate in my absence, so I'm reluctant to lose a whole additional day.

Fifth, I pay out of my own pocket to attend these conferences (I get "paid leave" from my employer), so even one additional night's lodging counts.

I agree with your comments "Those speakers who speak on the last day put just as much into their presentations as those speaking earlier in the conference.  It's a shame that sessions are often sparse in attendance on that last day" but it's just how the situation works out, at least for me.

Best regards,

Fred

Frederic J. Grevin, Vice-President

Records Management Department

New York City Economic Development Corporation * www.nycedc.com

[log in to unmask] * w. 212.312.3903 * mobile 917.510.3016 * f. 212.618.5722