From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2013 13:45:28 -0800
Wow... so much for a "climate of tolerance" for someone expressing their
views on something.

I guess if people put things into context, maybe their views would be
different.

Maybe the comment :

"If I had an employee who joined one of these networks, I would terminate
them."

...was intended to mean in a company that is a family owned business of  5
or less where one individual bears all the financial risk and stores their
client and other business documents, if an employee elected to on their own
sign up for and utilize a social networking 'product' on the company's
system that is linked to the server where business files were stored,
without requesting permission first, they would be terminated.

I think people are reading a bit too much into this to assume it means if
an individual who was employed by the company elected to join a social
network on their own and access it on their own system or personal device
outside of work time, they would be terminated.

Tons of organizations are grappling with the risks of "social engineering"
related to third party applications and 'services'... many of which are
related to the use of social networking applications and their associated
bolt-on games and all... and there are other risks associated with the use
of 'free services', like certain e-mail applications (phishing), things
like Google+, Docs and other 'free' cloud services as well.  We've all seen
the stories about Dropbox and others, right?
http://www.slashgear.com/dropbox-hack-allows-bypass-of-two-factor-authentication-05289228/
(And I'm NOT picking on them, they aren't alone)

Here's a recent article about simple stuff that people CAN and SHOULD think
of, but many don't.
http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2013/11/complete-guide-not-being-idiot-who-got-company-hacked/73109/

If you don't/haven't had the opportunity to sit down with a
twenty-something and discuss passwords, computer security, authentication,
phishing, their perspective on the "right" to use social networking, risks
on the internet... you should.  It's real eye opening. Many/most of them
have had a credit card or ATM hacked and their accounts compromised at
least once and it's not uncommon it's happened multiple times.  The answer?
Close the account and open a new one.  When an e-mail or social account
gets hacked? Abandon it and open a new one... don't even BOTHER closing the
existing one. The same is true if you forget a password... just move on and
start over.

In many cases, they may not have much to lose... unless their account is
linked to YOURS... and even then, it's not THEM that has much to lose!

I didn't view the post that started this discussion as the "Musings of a
Luddite" and while I can understand how some people may have thought it was
political in nature, this staunch Liberal doesn't agree that it was
offensive in any way.

Soapbox stored away for later use, flame retardant undies donned for those
who want to come after me, but be sure I won't be a silent target for your
opinions.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*