From:
"David T. Macknet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2013 09:37:12 -0800

I can see that ... but, the thing is, when a mechanic brings their own
tools, the mechanic is free to use the tools outside of work (they are
the property of the mechanic, after all), and there's no crossover in
ownership - whereas there is intellectual property being stored upon a
laptop or phone. This presents a problem, because the employer would
want to limit the use of the intellectual property, and the only way to
accomplish that is to limit the use of the device ... which impinges
upon the rights of the device owner.

It gets messy. I'm not sure of the case law, but I'm sure that it's
still fairly ambiguous as to what rights the employer has as far as
dictating the purchase of equipment and its use.

Best,

-D