From:
David Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2013 09:24:15 -0800
In today's Los Angeles Times I came across an article on the town of Santa Monica CA.  After the Northridge earthquake, the city of Santa Monica compiled a list of buildings that were deemed unsafe in the event of another earthquake. The Northridge earthquake resulted in the loss of about 1500 apartments and other buildings suffered severe damage.

The city passed an ordinance that mandated the retrofitting of such buildings or having them torn down.  But over time interest in enforcement has waned and now they apparently cannot find the list of these buildings that was created at some expense.  The city never formally identified the building owners of buildings that the city determined needed to be retrofitted.

Now this is where we get to the dog ate my homework part of the story.  In response to a Freedom of Information Request the city reported that it was unable to find the list.  The last administrator of the retrofitting program said it was there when I left.  And now the city reports the following which I quote below

"City officials said the quake documents might have been misplaced when they scanned paper documents into digital form. Takiguchi, Santa Monica's building official, said he is conducting a review of concrete and wooden soft-story buildings - even if that means redoing the work completed long ago."
You can read the entire story at the url below. It does make me wonder if imaging will become the next "dog ate my homework" excuse that will be used far and wide and if it will work any better than what some describe as an out of control dog.
http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-quake-santa-monica-20131111,0,2307523.story#axzz2kjeFIJC0

You know what they say -

Experience is a cruel teacher - she gives the test first and the lesson afterwards.

David B. Gaynon
Huntington Beach CA, USA