From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2013 11:31:05 -0800
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Records Management Email wrote:

> Sorry to say that I attended the ARMA Conference held in Detroit back in
> the 90s and I recall all of us on the shuttle back to the airport were
> anxious and happy to get out of town...alive. :-)

Wow, WTH with all this Detroit bashing?? I was there, co-presented with
Scott Ward that year.

I had a GREAT time in Detroit in 92... We had excellent dinners in Greek
Town (I especially remember "Fishbones") and got to see some sporting event
at Joe Louis Arena... don't ask what, the beer was flowing freely that
night.

I enjoyed taking the elevated train places, and also took a bus over to
Windsor, Canada the day after Conference... yes, I stayed an EXTRA day...
and had a blast over there, "touristing around" and had some fantastic
Chinese food for dinner before heading back.

Yes, the shuttle/limo ride to the hotel was sobering, even back then, there
were a lot of neighborhoods in disrepair and factories closed down, as the
US auto industry had gone into STEEP decline in those years, due mainly to
high prices and poor quality vehicles (quality was DEFINITELY not "Job One)
and nothing had been done to provide alternatives for the people who held
those jobs.  A decade earlier, there were many US citizens who would have
KILLED to earn what union auto workers were making!

Maybe it wasn't depressing and downtrodden to me because I grew up in
Oakland, CA and had seen plenty of situations that were as bad or worse...
suffice to say Oakland has NEVER hosted an RM Conference, but they've
hosted plenty of other decent sized events, including Conferences, for
other industries.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*