From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2013 08:34:50 -0800
GPS? Not a problem, I just turn it off when I'm not actively using it...
and I only enable "Location Services" on applications that benefit me by
having access to my location.

DVR? Never got one when you had to buy them, declined the offer when they
were free.  I liked the "old days" when you could easily tape stuff on a
VHS, watch it when you wanted, discard it or save it if it was something
special... but the DVR doesn't let you SAVE stuff.  And I refuse to be a
prisoner to the TV, so if I miss something and can't catch it on "On
Demand", so be it.

Social Media? Yeah, it's a drain on EVERYONE's time... if you let it be.
For me, I leave it (FB) signed on, then check it periodically... and for
others (like Twitter) I have alerts for people/accounts that send things I
find of value, and I scan the balance of stuff like 2x/day.

My beef with technology (at work) is the access others have to my calendar
and my 'status'... if you're signed into M$Outlook, then people KNOW you're
in and if they can access your calendar, they know when you're going to be
here... so your days get bombarded with useless requests to attend meetings
you don't need to be at or messages form people you don't need to interact
with.

My beef with technology (away from work) is how things that were once
simple mechanical devices are all being converted to "Technological 7th
Wonders of the World" and consequently don't last worth a damn.  Was it
really necesary for the microwave to go to a digital control panel?  The
dial was just fine for me.  Push button controls on washers, dryers, vacuum
cleaners, appliance all fail miserably under normal use... the rotary dials
and switches worked JUST FINE and lasted forever.

I've always been a fan of classic cars... I love looking under the hood of
a vehicle and being able to point to EVERY device and tell you what it is,
what it's function is, and how to change it out.  Now? Open the hood and it
looks as if it should have spaghetti sauce poured all over the stuff under
there... there's more hoses and wires than anything metal. And work on it
yourself? Hell, the tolerances on some are so tight, you have to jack up
the engine to get to the plug to change the oil !! About all you can
service yourself are wiper blades and taillight bulbs.

Those that know me KNOW I'm not a Luddite... but all the same, I think we
build too much instant obsolescence into products by "over technologizing"
them.

Larry

*Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CA RIM Professional since 1972*