From:
Angela & Najib Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2013 20:33:47 -0600
I do not believe that it should be up to the archivist to "sanitize"
anything.  The record is a witness of the originator who created it and,
therefore, the archivist may or may not be qualified to "interpret" the
intent of the creator.  If that were true, many things about history could
have been destroyed in the pursuit of "political correctness" without anyone
truly taking the time to understand the circumstances or context under which
they were created.

When I have come across such things in my cataloging of the history of the
creation of the second largest railway in the United States, I have marked
the items as "Private" and have forwarded them for review.  Initial review
is done by the Law Department and, if they feel it necessary, they can
request an ad hoc committee to meet comprised of Law, Compliance, Risk
Management, Public Relations, and a member of Senior Management.