From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 08:46:29 -0800
On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM,  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> NY Times IT Describes Snowden Files Transfer
>
> Rajiv Pant, chief technology officer at The New York Times (NYT), thought
> he could be killed for it.
>
> It was the IT help request from hell. British newspaper The Guardian
> provided the Times with top-secret electronic documents exposed by former
> National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden. Pant oversaw the
> handoff between the Guardian and the New York Times.
>
> At the recent AppSec USA cybersecurity conference, the Times' chief
> technology officer described those tense initial moments.
>
> Source: http://cryptome.org/2013/12/nyt-snowden-transfer.htm

This dude SHOULD be concerned, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets
charged with a violation of the US Code:

18 USC § 1924 - Unauthorized removal and retention of classified documents
or material

18 USC § 798 - Disclosure of classified information

And this is something else he/The NYT should consider:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm02057.htm

This is serious stuff- you don't mess with classified information knowingly
and if you understand the consequences and you STILL mess with it, then you
just suffer the penalties.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*