From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2013 19:28:41 -0800
On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Davis, Bradlee W. (Info -
Raleigh-Durham) wrote:

> If your office space is secured by key card access at all access points
> into the office, is it still often suggested that the file rooms be secured
> as well?  Is security at the office door level enough?  Hypothetical:
> Office is converting to open file shelving, File rooms currently have no
> doors, Security questionnaires coming in asking for answers regarding
> security of physical files. Looking for a general consensus on this.
>
> Bradlee W. Davis
> Director of Records and Information Governance

This is one of those "it depends" things for sure....

Do you have anything in agreements with clients about expectation of
privacy and or security?

What about protection from damage? I know that's not the topic here, but
open shelving can result in damage in the event of an accidental discharge
of sprinklers, broken windows during a storm, etc.

While your scenario requires card access to all points of access, how are
the cards controlled? If a card is lost, or an employee leaves, is the
system re-programmed and remaining cards re-encoded?

What about your janitors/cleaning service? Do they also have card access in
off hours where these open shelves are?  Others, such as building manager?

How is access to the files controlled if they are in general space on open
shelving?  What in/out chain of custody control is there?

How are they re-filed and what prevents misfiling? Or removal of portions
of a file?

David Steward raised good questions about files/records in active use,
which are essentially uncontrolled and regularly at risk in open office
settings.

One of the few scenarios I've seen where  this is protected against is
"Classified Matter Protection"
https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives/0471.2-DManual-1cc1/view but
OBVIOUSLY this is a different beast.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*