From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2013 14:22:55 -0500
< I never "voluntarily" provide confidential/customer information unless "compelled" to do so by a court order.>
Luckily, I work for a municipality so am covered by the state's current Privacy laws which says customer PII is confidential.  However, bear in mind that, although most state laws require disclosure to a "data subject" (i.e. a customer) that their PII has been requested or produced in response to a court order or subpoena, the PATRIOT Act does not allow this disclosure if the request is made by law enforcement or federal agencies under its umbrella.  I did two research papers on privacy laws for the ARMA International Educational Foundation.  They are available for free download at:
Requirements for Personal Information Protection Part 1: U.S. Federal Law http://www.armaedfoundation.org/pdfs/FederalPrivacy.pdf
Requirements for Personal Information Protection Part 2: U.S. State Laws
http://www.armaedfoundation.org/pdfs/Requirements_for_Personal_Information_US_States.pdf

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager