From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2014 12:25:50 -0500
Snips from Larry:

> From: Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Retention Schedule Questions
> Date: January 3, 2014 at 6:40:30 PM EST
>
> But now there is a sort or resurgence of this... and as an example, I'll
> point to the ESI Data Map.  When you're putting one of these together, you
> identify the principal, secondary (mirrored or replicated datasets) and
> other sources (backup tapes, archival copies, etc) of information... to
> ensure if the primary source (original) isn't available, any other
> potential sources can be searched.
>
> And it's a shame this has to happen, because *IF* an EDRMS was used
> properly, the primary/only 'copy' would be stored in the EDRMS, assigned a
> retention period, populated with scads of metadata, and anyone in the
> organization that needed it for reference could go to the one and only
> source and find the irrefutable copy... and view it... AND if they had
> permissions, print and or otherwise use it.  The only other copy would be
> the backup, to be used to repopulate the primary repository, in the event
> of a catastrophic loss.
>
> Larry

I wonder how many organizations who have gone through litigation have adopted EDRMS as a result of their experience?

E-Discovery costs have increased from $70 million in 2000 to over $4 Billion in 2013. Even winning the lawsuit can put you out of business and the organization with the best EDRMS may be the big winner.

In litigation 60% to 80% of the costs will be from E-Discovery and 80% of this will be spent on review. The efficiency of your ESI will be a major factor in reducing litigation costs. (Facts from a presentation by several law firms cautioning business leaders to prepare for litigation. )

Even winning can still result in Sanctions. Would the goal of Information Governance be to push the organization to EDRMS?

Has anyone who has gone through a lawsuit changed their procedures as a result?

Does anyone on the Listserve think their Datamap is pretty much there? Steve you hate paper………. Did you have a solid Datamap?

Has anyone staged a mock litigation event to see how prepared you are??

Speaking of history……..remember when we gave our wives special lingerie for gifts and they would give us books on how to be a better husband? And now we give books too! Although my “Audubon’s Birds of America” is very nice!

Speaking of movies……..The movie “Her” should be a hit on the Listserve as we already exist in a virtual world. Joyce found me arguing with Seri on my daughter’s iPhone so no upgrade from iPhone 4 for me.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM