From:
Angela & Najib Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2014 20:49:35 -0600
Many organizations that I have worked for treat supporting workpapers as
audit work papers.  Minimum retention was generally set at 7 years with most
associated workpapers being set at anywhere from 7 years to 30
years...depending on the industry and the content.

If you are in the academic industry, I would consider the amount of time
that someone might want to review your research sample.  For example, I've
seen research on exposure to hazardous waste, medical treatments, or product
liability and the retention is set equal to the retention period for
material safety data sheets.  On the other hand, if someone is conducting
opinion surveys, you might set a much shorter retention period starting at 3
years.  Hiring and employment research workpapers might be set to something
akin to general statutes of limitation on lawsuits if that research is used
as the basis of a legal opinion for a lawsuit.

I believe that it is going to be difficult to set a "one size fits all"
retention period.

Please feel free to contact me offline at [log in to unmask] for further
discussion.