From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2014 08:18:03 -0500
Lisa,

Gary is correct - non-profits typically follow the same general
recordkeeping requirements that businesses have to follow; financial,
legal, administrative and human resources.  I served as the Records
Administrator at the Project Management Institute for two years and found
this to be true.  In addition if your non-profit is providing specific
services, such financial services, legal advice, etc. you may have to
follow rules for those areas as well.  PMI is primarily a
professional/membership service organization.  As such we determined, from
a business perspective, how long we maintain operational records.

One interesting aspect of non-profits - they are required on IRS Form 990
to acknowledge that they have a written records management program (Part
VI, Section B, Line 14.)  Not sure if the IRS has ever asked for supporting
documentation during an audit; as far as I know they never required  PMI to
provide policies and procedures.  But the requirement was instrumental in
the creation of an RM program at the Institute.  PMI considered the
retention schedule for internal use so you won't find it if you searched
their website.

If you have any questions please send me note off-line.

Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Virginia Beach, VA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bblanco