From:
Susan Beamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:47:25 -0700
'What do I miss?'

Penny candy.  A corner grocery store to get the penny candy from.  Begging
dimes from my dad to buy the penny candy.  Having chores to do and not
getting paid for them because that's what kids were for, to help with and
in family life.

A house so small I would yell for them to turn the TV down so I could go
to sleep and they would and I would.

So many kids in the neighborhood I had a child on each side of me in my
same grade. With only cartoons to compete for kids' time, we played
outside a lot.

Playing in the street.  When I think of playing in the street I think of
the cartoon, "Dick Tracy".   When the sirens came on, all the cars would
part to the side and his police car would zoom through and then the cars
went back into the street to continue on their way.  That's how we were
playing in the street.

Susan Beamer
Records Manager
Eastern Washington State