From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:14:45 -0700
On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Bruce White <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Larry,
>
> I am guessing that "Corporate" means internal operations/group in NARA
> speak. What I found interesting is that the Agency seeks someone
> "internally to advance records management policy and best practices..." -
> does this mean they have problem?  Shouldn't it be a given that since NARA
> establishes policy and guidance for federal agencies they would be in
> lock-step with the same.  Maybe I am reading too much into the description
> but kind of makes one wonder...
>
> Bruce White, CRM, PMP

That's what I got from the description as well, Bruce.

As for the:

"...does this mean they have problem?  Shouldn't it be a given that since
NARA
establishes policy and guidance for federal agencies they would be in
lock-step with the same. "

As someone who worked there, I'm sure you KNOW the answer.  YES, the regs
say that NARA tells the cows how to eat the cabbage, but sadly, they don't
provide the cabbage and so it becomes the all too well known "Unfunded
Mandate Scenario" for Agencies.

Contractors readily push back, because it's not in the T&C, and the cry is
"Tell us WHAT we have to do; don't tell us HOW to accomplish it... unless
you're going to pay us to do it that way."

Agencies have been doing more of the same since NARA was foolish enough to
bow to the lobbying pressure allowing Agencies to vend out their record
storage, after they started direct charging for storage and services and
the level of service dipped to being as bad (or worse) than most commercial
service providers.  And you've seen the impact and success of that...with
the recent announcement of the closure of the FRC in Alaska, the pending
closure of one in DFW and a third one as well.  It's NOT because more
records are being generated in electronic forms, it's because the services
are available for less elsewhere and are found to be 'adequate' by those
who have physical control of the records.

As I mentioned to one of our mutual buddies offline, although I'm not a fan
of the "G-word" this might be a perfect of example of where it could be
applied to a position title..."Director of Federal Records Management
Governance".  While I think the MGRD gave a push to improving NARA's role
of directing Agencies to accomplish certain things, as I've said since it
was issued... great advice, but again, NO FUNDING and DWINDLING STAFF... so
how on Earth do you achieve the goals, especially within the time frames
set?

Thanks for your thoughts

Larry

*Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CA RIM Professional since 1972*