From:
Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:03:18 -0700
Hi, Meg,

Basically, we do the same as Earl does.

The internal part is easy, for us, at the moment, subject to change without
notice.  The official holder of the record is shown in our retention
schedule and the Official retention period applies to that record.  It may
be the creating department, it may be the department where the workflow of
the record ends, it may be the department that controls the system in which
the electronic record is stored (not IS, the department who pays IS).
Subject to holds from Audit, Tax, Legal and Customs.  We also have a case
like you describe, where one department scans and stores another
department's records.  The official copy is scheduled with the department
who controls the use, release and destruction of the records.

External holders of what may be records are not called out in the retention
schedule, mainly because of change.  Advertising agencies are an example -
whoever we had last year may not be the agency this year.  And the language
in the contracts differs.  So the management of records held by external
companies is on a case-by-case basis.

Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre
Records Management Analyst, Senior
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Torrance, California, USA
Member - The Orange County Chapter of ARMA International
<Check out Orange County California ARMA's website at ocarma.org
Larry Medina - "RM makes the rules; IT provides the tools".