From:
Jim Mullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:34:56 -0400
On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 at 09:40:29 , Elizabeth Steinberg
<[log in to unmask]> writes on the Subject:

...Can anyone provide guidance on retention for recordings of call center
phon=
e calls?  Would like to know what other call center companies are
keeping o=
r where I can find that information.

Elizabeth,
I would expect there would not be any regulation regarding maintaining
record of the function unless its buried in HHS or NAIC
guidelines/regulation, but I haven't worked in that industry (yet - : )  ).
That said, I know Oregon maintain records that document specific
incidents when a call is received by the 9-1-1/public safety answering
point for 2 years (OAR 166-150-0145(3). My guess is that other states
might have similar requirements.

Seeing that these records are most likely do not have a regulatory
requirement connected to them, the next consideration (IMHO) would be
business function.  My wife works in a call center and the only things
they use these types of records for is problem/dispute resolution re: the
nature of the call, and personnel performance.  In the first instance, a
record of problems/resolutions is summarized in the customer record.
The the call record itself would have no business value beyond a month
or so (again, IMHO).  In the second instance, the call records is used to
determine personnel performance – how the call was handled, handling
time, etc.  Once reviews are completed and those actions are
summarized in another record – usually a personnel record of some kind
– the call record itself has little value past 2-6 months or whatever the
company management and counsel is comfortable with.  Given my
limited insurance industry knowledge, I would not see any value past 6
months IF  the phone calls are summarized in another records as
outlined above.

You'll need to do more research in your industry, but I hope you find this
helpful.

Jim Mullen - on RIM/IG hiatus
Wichita, KS