From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2014 08:13:50 -0700
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:37 AM, Daoust, Martha <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I learned many, many years ago that Record Departments do NOT bring in any
> money. They may save some but they don't bring any in. That pretty much
> covers it.

> Martha Daoust
> Records Manager
> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]

This is an age-old argument that has no legs.

The concept of "profit center" does not apply to any required
administrative function... and I hate referring to RM as solely
'administrative' because many of us understand it's value to the
organization far exceeds this, but for purposes of THIS discussion, I
will.

In a lot of these discussions, people want to argue if you're not a profit
center, you're a cost center. My argument back is "No, proper
administration of a records management program results in COST AVOIDANCE,
which is a completely different category.  It may enhance the profitability
of one or another aspect of the organization, or it may assist the ENTIRE
organization from incurring additional costs."

So, while records management may not bring in any money... it can greatly
impact how much money is being spent by others.

Larry

*Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CA RIM Professional since 1972*