From:
"Toner, Alex John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2014 09:27:37 -0400
Good morning -

Within the University Registrar's Office at the University of Pittsburgh we've been implementing electronic imaging for document retention and access purposes, in particular for those records requiring permanent retention.

I'm interested to know how similar conversions to document capture systems have affected your physical retention time of the corresponding paper record? For instance, a paper record for a certain term would remain onsite for two years following the applicable term, after which it would either be microfilmed or purged. Now, we're processing, capturing, and indexing documents on a daily/weekly basis.

It seems to me that it has become unnecessary to retain the paper copies for such a long period following their electronic conversion, and I'd like to know how others have modified their retention schedules to deal with retention of hardcopy records following digitization.

Thanks,

Alex J. Toner
Archives & Records Manager
Office of the University Registrar