From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2014 13:08:03 +1000
I've been through this several times.

NSW State Records says you should in general keep the paper originals for
six months, or until your QA is complete, whichever is the longer. The QA
must include all the metadata and indexing that Larry discusses. They do
allow for shorter periods for low risk activities, so where I am the
accounts payable team scan any incoming paper invoices and we keep them for
only a few weeks - after all, if you mess up an invoice, your supplier will
be shouting at you after 30 days, and will be only too happy to send you a
copy.

They also say that when back scanning, any paper originals created prior to
2000 must not be destroyed even after scanning, at least not without
specific permission. They recently called for comments on whether they
should roll back the year 2000 restriction by another ten or twenty years.

All their good advice is here:
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/recordkeeping/advice/digitisation/digitisation

Keep in mind too that the best way to go all electronic is to stamp out
paper at source. For example, requiring all your suppliers to submit
invoices directly into your system, or at least as PDF's, is a lot simpler
than scanning them as they come out of the mailbag.

Back to the retention, my view is that if you set up a good process, with
good controls, QA and auditability, with risks properly assessed and
mitigated as necessary, then converting something from paper to electronic
also declares the electronic version to now be THE RECORD, and you can
dispose of the hardcopy as a temporary working copy, whenever you like.
Some of us believe the NSW State Records Act allows this as 'Normal
Administrative Practice' but don't quote me.

For older material no longer part of current processes, of course you may
want or need to preserve historical artifacts on paper, vellum or stone,
but that's the province of the archivists and I'm happy to transfer the
artifacts to them so when I retire I can drag out my history degree and get
back to enjoying tactile as well as content. As a records manager I'm
concerned about content not medium, and a verifiable transfer from paper to
electronic is fine, I don't then need the paper.

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia
0467 740 161 (new mobile number)
These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked and
they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and Glenn".
Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.