From:
Robert Smallwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2014 16:00:24 -0400
Steve:

Your comment began with "I have no knowledge of this trainer, and no
knowledge of this course," yet you felt compelled to make disparaging
remarks about my credentials and the online classes based on my textbooks?

Perhaps a more prudent and professional approach would be to do some
research so you can at least make an informed critique. Have you read any of
my books? Googled me?

Here is a link to my last 3 books which focus on IG, published by Wiley &amp;
Sons over the course of the last 2 years. That's over 1100 pages in IG
topics -- more than anyone else in the world. That's a pretty good
credential, wouldn't you say?

If you will take a moment to simply review the Table of Contents, you will
see they are the most complete an current texts available on securing
electronic documents, managing electronic records, and information governance:

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-302475.html?query=Robert+F.+Smallwood

In fact, the IG textbook is the FIRST and ONLY one in the world. IG from A-Z.

I doubt you realize the effort it took to collect and analyze all the
disparate parts and pieces of IG and to fashion it into a codified
discipline for the first time.  If it were easy perhaps you could have done
it, or someone else, but no one did. I did. To write a practical IG handbook
but also include concepts, strategies, best practices and key technologies -
for the first time - this is what is in the text.

I spent nearly 7 years conducting background research for the IG book, and I
wrote it through the lens of my 30+ years of experience in the industry. I
began working for Burroughs Corporation in 1982 implementing inline
microfilm capture of check images (records) for commercial banks, the
Federal Reserve Bank branch, and Federal Home Loan Bank. Then I went to work
at Wang Labs and specialized in document imaging, again in the financial
services sector. These were the first commercially available ERM systems in
the world. I have been an independent consultant for 20+ years and have
worked with major corporations and governmental agencies. I have never
managed a failed project implementation, or one that was over budget or
late. That's a pretty god credential, wouldn't you say?

So I used my business experience and MBA to synthesize and distill all the
information on IG that was out there from blogs, webinars, articles, SME
interviews, and more. But I didn't write the IG textbook all myself, just 14
of the 18 chapters, and I co-authored or edited the other 4.

I enlisted the assistance of 9 subject matter experts (SME) for the IG
textbook. Some of the best in the industry -- like Barclay Blair, Randy
Kahn, Monica Crocker, Pat Franks, Charles Dollar, Lori Ashley, Charmaine
Brooks, Seth Earley, and others. Google them. And I also consulted with
colleagues internationally like Ken Chasse (Canada), Marc Fresko (UK), and
Ulrich Kampffmeyer (Germany). These are leaders in the fields of ERM, ECM,
and IG. Google them all.

Do I have an IGP? No. Certainly I could pass the test with my eyes closed.
After all, I wrote the book on IG. And I have read it more than 50 times in
the course of writing and editing it.

But don't take my word for it, read CRM, CIP, and IGP Brian Starck's
(unsolicited) review of my book on Amazon, where he states that he used it
as his primary study guide and passed the IGP exam:

http://www.amazon.com/Information-Governance-Concepts-Strategies-Practices/dp/1118218302/ref=la_B006LTJ39S_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402167749&sr=1-1

Regarding the live online IG classes, delivered in HD video: They are the
first of their kind available. The faculty and guest speakers for the
classes include Barclay Blair, Pat Franks, Charles Dollar, Lori Ashley, and
others. We not only view PowerPoint presentations, but have whiteboard
discussions, view educational videos, and take "field trips" to see software
demonstrations. It is a truly pioneering and unique learning approach. All
delivered to the student's desktop.

And how do attendees like the classes? So far in the first 3 sessions 100%
wrote that they would recommend the classes to their peers. 100%. These are
CRMs, IGPs, and legal professionals from the Fortune 500 and major
governmental agencies.

Here are some of their comments (on file):

“I was shocked at well the technology worked!”

“Fantastic class! We are sending 2 more people for the next basic class, and
I am going to the Advanced class in June.”

“The information about information governance  helped to clear up my
confusion about the term.”

“The course allowed me to rethink how traditional records management
practices can be adapted to current business challenges and technology
challenges.”

“I chose this class (in lieu of attending a major conference this year)
because the topics are perfect and timely!”

“The content and on-line format of the class were my favorites.  I enjoy
going to a conference because of the variety, but this class format focused
on what I wanted to learn and it was convenient.  Your use of videos,
whiteboard and PowerPoint was an excellent mix with the lecture.  The class
time frame was good – left a little time in the day for work.”

“Loved the casual nature of participation.  Enjoyed how you progressively
exposed the topics (Very logical to a Records Manager).  Visual aids are
great; especially the graphics showing relationships of retention schedules,
file plans and taxonomies.  Also, the component parts of IG….  Most helpful
in achieving the transformation from traditional RM to IG.   Also, no travel
and entertainment costs which allows us to let more people participate and
stay within our training budget.”

“The content is up to date, clearly communicated, and comprehensive.  Also,
clearly the instructor has years of experience and knows what he’s talking
about.”

“It was better than just reading the book, which is an excellent resource;
but receiving instruction with the book through this training made it
clearer, and I was better able to stay focused.  I am hoping to enroll in
ERM – Advanced!”

“I generally attend a major trade show.  Trade show sessions are much more
‘scattered’ in their coverage of the full gamut of information needed to
make the transformation from RM to IG.  Also, I LOVED this class because it
sets the basic knowledge level for all members of a team and does so by
progressively disclosing the required knowledge in a logical fashion for
folks rolling out IG programs to cover paper and electronic records (as we
are).”

So Steve, next time you decide to make a derogatory comment, I suggest you
do some research and make an informed one.

This is my business, I have worked extremely hard to write the books and
create the classes, and your comment negatively impacts my livelihood. I
have another kid to put through college.

These days people sue for such things; in the old days I would just punch
you in the nose.

But in the interest of educating and enlightening you, I would be happy to
send you an autographed copy of my book.