From:
Pilar McAdam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2014 19:02:21 +0000
At the risk of alienating some esteemed colleagues on this listserv, I
feel the need to express a opinion:

The term ³information governance² is useful.  Why?  Because it has gotten
the attention of leadership in a way that ³records management² hasn¹t.

Sadly, many in leadership roles perceive ³records management² and ³records
managers² as dealing exclusively with physical files and box storage.
Such leaders, therefore, dismiss discussions about records management (and
records managers) as irrelevant.  (Obviously this isn¹t universally true;
I gladly acknowledge that many organizations value their records
management programs, and their records managers.)

I¹m not advocating this mistaken view of our profession.  I do what I can
to educate those with such a misunderstanding when I encounter them. But
when I¹m trying to communicated the value of devoting resources (money and
labor) to the management of information in ALL of its glorious variety, I
use the terminology that speaks most clearly to the listener.  I focus on
communicating this message in whatever way the listener can best hear and
understand it.

I¹ve been extremely pleased to see the way in which use of the term
³information governance² has sparked new dialogues about RIM concepts, and
has helped to move programs forward ‹ including making funding available ‹
while calling such programs ³records management² seemed to bog down.

As far as I¹m concerned, they can call me - and my profession - by any
name they want as long as it helps my clients to better manage their
information .

Pilar C. McAdam, CRM, ERMm
Los Angeles, CA