From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2014 08:20:23 -0700
On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 6:29 AM, Jim Mullen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In addition to the excellent suggestions you've received so far and on the
> more frugal side of the coin, is there anything preventing conversion of
> your current schedule to a .pdf format and making it available on a
> corporate web page?  When changes are made, update the original document
> re-post, disseminate knowledge of changes, and maintain the previous
> version per your retention schedule.

This "KISS" principle is what we have followed for the past 15 years and it
works well.

The schedules are managed as Word documents in a native form, converted to
PDF and uploaded to the RM Web Page for use by others in the organization.
We have a functional schedule, organized in 13 categories. We have 582
discrete record series, with an additional 331 sub-series.   Each category
is an independent PDF, supported by a searchable subject index.  In
addition, we have a complete schedule subject index, that is also
searchable.

The content is extremely clear and readable.  Each series includes a
Schedule Code, Description (with examples), Disposition Authority (citation
to source), Disposition Instructions (retention period and actions
required) and Retention Instructions (notes related to destruction
moratoria, legal holds, requirements to transfer to others, etc).

We tried putting it up in HTML as an independent web page at one point and
people found it more cumbersome to work with.

Larry

*Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CA RIM Professional since 1972*