From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2014 13:22:56 -0700
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> As usual, the article conflates managing the email as records (retention)
> and backing up the email system [sigh] ....
>
> Fred

These yahoos seldom get it right.

In simple terms, if the e-mail meets the definition of  a record, it's
supposed to be moved OUT of the native application and saved in a ERMS that
meets the requirements in 36CFR.  The exception is for "transitory"
messages with a 180 day retention, which may be left in the native
application until they are destroyed.

And yes Fred, like in all other settings BACKUP TAPES are not used as
systems to manage records.

Like in private settings, the Federal (and State, County and City)
Governments are doing a poor job of managing electronic content in general
and e-mail and other social media in particular.

They either defer to "keep it all" or setting arbitrary limits on volume or
time to retain e-mail... neither of which work particularly well. We keep
hearing how this will all be automated, and others keep arguing for
'defensible destruction', but when it comes to public records, the whole
deal is based on content and position to determine what is retained and how
long it's retained.

Capstone isn't a silver bullet, unless Agencies are setup to move content
to it and the way it's designed at this time, it makes the same
misassumption that ALL e-mail of Senior Officials should be retained
permanently.   If the content doesn't meet the definition of a "record" it
doesn't have to be retained at all, much less permanently.  The only
exception are criteria such as legal holds or other published destruction
moratoria.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina Danville, CARIM Professional since 1972*