From:
Jason McWilliam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:26:58 -0400
Happy Friday All,

I've received an inquiry from our IT group seeking input from RM with
respect to the management of email accounts assigned to employees who are
on long-term absences (which generally, but not exclusively, arise due to
medical conditions).  While the accounts are disabled and prohibit network
access, the email account remains active and able to receive messages.

IT staff have indicated that without any oversight, the account ends up
consuming significant storage resources.  In exceptional cases I have been
told that multiple gigs of information is accumulated before the individual
either returns, or leaves the organization.

In all instances, an out of office notification is placed on the account
indicating that the individual staff member is on long-term leave and
provides information on the new staff member who has assumed responsibility
for the position or activities undertaken by the individual on long-term
leave.

Given that no action is taken on the information delivered to the account,
I'm inclined to treat the accumulated data as non-record material and
dispose of it accordingly; however I would be interested to know if and how
other organizations handle similar cases.

Thanks,

Jason.