From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:04:57 -0700
On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Carol E.B. Choksy <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks, Larry!
>
> I had never heard of office of record being used as a custodial category.
> I learned that it was the workgroup that was referenced when lifecycle
> questions arise, like transfer, hold, or destruction arose. They may not be
> the only group asked about these, but are "responsible" for the set of
> documents in question.
>
> What is RIDs?

I can almost hear the gasps and screams of those who worked in the Federal
Records Arena between 7-20 years ago when they see this term...  RIDS
refers to "RECORDS INVENTORY AND DISPOSITION SCHEDULES"... and ALL Agencies
were required to prepare them.

Sadly, if you worked in an Agency that reorganized regularly, after EVERY
SHIFT, you had to update or re-do your RIDS to change the "office of
record" to reflect who custodial responsibilities shifted to for that
portion of the collection of records. AND you might have to develop a
crosswalk, because any legacy records that were sent to storage and were
'left behind' had to be accessible to the new responsible party...  a
horrid, horrid, process.  If records had been transferred to an FRC, it was
even more involved.

Here's an older guidance document that hasn't been deleted yet that
describes the practice.  As Contractors, we didn't follow it, because our
site specific schedule was functional, not organizational.

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/cioprod/documents/Preparing_RIDS_2007.pdf

::shudders::

Larry

*Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CA RIM Professional since 1972*