From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:27:59 -0400
Hi Hugh,
I understand your​ frustration with many of the inane comments made in the
media by all the parties involved.  Needless to say, but I am not
supporting the IRS actions in any way.

But I'd like to make a distinction about "backup tapes".  As a records and
information manager and consultant we often say that 'backup tapes' are not
designed for long-term or archival preservation of data.  This statement
does not imply that the tapes cannot maintain the data for 10-15 years
especially when they are maintained in climate controlled and secure
environments such as your vaults.  The issue with 'backup tapes' is that
they are not organized/indexed etc in a manner designed for accessing and
retrieving the required documents/data.  Good Records Management processes
always organize records in a method that allows for ease of access and
retrieval whether those records are in paper, digital, or even email:)

The purpose of 'backup tapes' is to restore a system that may crash and
burn.  These tapes will enable the IT group to restore the operation and
keep business moving within the context of the operating system but
archived records and data require some organization to enable the retrieval
and ultimate destruction many years after they are stored.

Keep implementing the vaults Hugh, because they are essential to the long
term preservation of our records and data - even backup tapes.  These may
become even more essential considering all the hacking that is going on.

Mary

Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371