From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2014 13:13:01 -0800
On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:45 AM, Bruce White <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  I received a note from the
> organization my inbox last night pointing me to a White Paper on the
> topic.  Snippets from the Executive Summary....
>
> <snip>
> We hate information governance. We love information governance. Wait,
> it’s data governance. Everyone needs to do it. No one is “really”
> doing it. It’s just records management in disguise. It sounds an awful
> lot like enterprise content management. It doesn’t matter to the
> C-suite. You need to make it matter to the C-suite. It’s boring. It’s
> exciting. It’s hard.
>
> Ultimately, conversations about Information Governance need to change:
> - It's not just information governance, it's information security.
> - It's not just Information governance, it's information simplicity.
> - It's not just information governance, it's information value.
> <snip>
>
> I haven't had a chance to thoroughly read the white paper yet from by
> a cursory review the finding indicates what many of us have been
> saying - there is much of confusion on what Information Governance
> really is.  IG really is in the eyes of the beholder.  If we can't
> really define it at our level how do we expect to explain at the
> C-Level.

Bruce, this lack of clarity around what it is has been my biggest complaint
since day one about EyeGee.  And worse yet, HOW can you legitimately offer
a "certification" around something that NO ONE can agree on what it is?

I've said this before and I'll say it again... it's just like John Godfrey
Saxe's Parable:

http://www.constitution.org/col/blind_men.htm

Everybody agrees it's SOMETHING, but no two people can agree WHAT it is. So
the might as well say it's a Certification of Knowing "Stuff".

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*