From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2014 14:20:29 -0800
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> it is not a portable as far as i can tell from the photo

right, not a half-height (for a laptop) but it could be put in any powered
enclosure or a desktop "box" of any sort.

from the article
> "the Seagate drives aren’t very fast with reading and writing data (150MB/s
> versus 1,800MB/s and 5,900RPM vs 7,200RPM, respectively)."

Yeah so they aren't much slower than other normal desktop drives, but the
volume of data it has to ferret through to put the pieces together would
likely make it a bit slower overall.

> also from the article
> " they’re designed more for data archival (to avoid storing “all our eggs
> in one basket,” you could buy multiple drives and use them in a RAID
> configuration

Which would likely be more reliable for deep storage.  Seagate hasn't had
the best reputation in the recent (5-6 years) past... lots of stories about
their drives lasting about a year before problems start to crop up
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/
so that makes this $260 "deal" a bit less attractive.

SSDs are coming down in price quite a bit
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html
but the best you're regularly seeing is 512GB for a similar price point.

That said, they aren't designed for "archiving" data, but they are BLAZING
fast on boot-up !!

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*