From:
Luciana Duranti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 07:29:18 -0800
Gary wrote:

....:  what would you say to people who refer to PeopleSoft as "the database
of record."  (Full disclosure: My IT Person used this phrase and I said the
term is halfway between meaningless and harmful)
 - Here you may be getting into the two concepts: RIM's "copy of record"
and IT's "system of record and system of reference." They are two different
things. I tried to engage this list an a conversation comparing and
contrasting them some months ago, but no one bit.

Maybe nobody bit because people are far too busy and it was a bad time.  It
is a key matter and, now that I am contributing to the drafting of the new
Canadian standard for electronic records as documentary evidence, it is
particularly timely!  Let's try again during the holidays.  I would likely
bite after all my deadlines will be met and my family Christmas celebrations
will be over :)

Happy holiday season!

Luciana

Dr. Luciana Duranti
Chair and Professor | Archival Studies
School of Library, Archival, and  Information Studies
The University of British Columbia | The Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
470-1961 East Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
Phone 604 822 2587 | Fax 604 822 6006
[log in to unmask] | www.slais.ubc.ca |
Director I Centre for the International Study of Contemporary Records and
Archives
www.ciscra.org